Monday 17 March 2014

London part 2 - Camden market

We got off the canal waterbus right in Camden market........one of London's permanent markets.....next to all the stalls cooking and selling food from all parts of the globe......the smells were very enticing......but we decided to have a wander round before succumbing!!!
The warm sun had brought everyone out.....I think it may have been the most crowded place on the planet!!
There are hundreds of stalls scattered over quite a wide area.......though I think they may have a few central suppliers.....as many of them were selling the same stuff.
My favourite part was the underground Horse Tunnel market which was full of stalls selling vintage items......though it always makes me feel ancient to see items I've once used classed as 'vintage'!!
We had a look round the shops.....loved the 3D shoes advertising......but most of the stuff is geared at those much younger than us!!
Returned to the food stalls for a bite to eat.......such a choice. 
Before returning to Little Venice on the waterbus.......pausing to look in the 'water bookshop' as we returned to the hotel.
We certainly didn't decide to snack at the hotel....we could have had a whole meal in Camden for the price of a bag of M&Ms!!! A drink in a local pub seemed a far better option.
And as we returned to the hotel from the pub we played 'spot the porsche'.......I've never seen so many expensive cars parked in one street before......5 porsches,2 mercedes,3 jaguars......and a host of others.......according to my London based brother a house in this area can cost up to 3 million pounds....no problem affording a porsche then!!
Monday was spent with said brother......which was a wonderful way to end our little break.

15 comments:

Kathyk said...

Fab pix - really makes me want to visit too

Kathyk

furrypig said...

sounds like a really great trip Jackie... hotels can be sooooo expensive for the simple things like a bag of sweets or a packet of crisps!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful place Camden Market looks but I cannot believe the prices the hotel was charging for snacks!

Melissa said...

Sounds like a fun day. I enjoyed seeing your photos and agree that seeing items I once used & enjoyed labeled "vintage" makes me a little ancient!

Amy said...

Jacky, these are great shots, you always take very good 'tourist' shots ... lots of detail and interest.

Your square arrived today - it's fabulous! TSYO is fascinated by all the elements and she thinks it 'goes' perfectly with all the others! I am impressed with how each segment is on the angle :)

Barbara Eads said...

Camden Market---one more thing to add to my "must see while in London" file. It sounds like something I would really enjoy. When we were in London a few years ago, we went to some street market that was only open on weekends---people with tables all along the sidewalk. Very interesting.

Karen said...

I've always loved markets like these. One of your shots reminded me of some of the streets in Istanbul. I could have spent hours looking at all the little shops.

Sian said...

Great photos - a vicarious trip for me round a market I would love to see IRL

Sheena said...

We always love to eat in Camden Market.
We are never disappointed.
Great photos of your visit x

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

A great selection of shots. I can't believe the price of the M&Ms! Daylight robbery!

♥ Mary Janes TEAROOM said...

I've never visited Camden Market Jacky but it has to go on my 'to do' list!...lovely pics...
Happy Tuesday!
Susan x

Sinead said...

I visited Camden when I was in London a few years ago and loved it - you describe it so well, it really is just buzzing with life and sounds and smells and excitement! X

Lou said...

Sounds like you have a perfect time x

Maria Ontiveros said...

Thanks for taking us along with you to London! I enjoyed the visit. The weather looks surprisingly good.
Rinda

Jimjams said...

What a brilliant weekend - never even knew London had a "Venice" area, though I did visit Camden 35 years ago! WOW at the snack prices though ... you'd have to be mad to pay that!!!